I don’t know about you, but I LOVE pancakes. Give me pancakes any time of day and I’m a happy camper. The only issue is when I’m trying to really reduce total carbs, the classic almond flour pancakes that I love are just too high for me. ENTER: Isopure unflavored whey isolate protein powder – aka magic dust from the keto gods. Zero carb and versatile as hell! They give these pancakes a pancake texture and more fluff and firmness than if you were just making an egg pancake or crepe.
Here are some notes:
- If you eat this hot off the pan, they will taste eggy. Give them a hot minute to cool and then you will get the pancake vibes you’ve been craving.
- I use isopure because it’s the only brand I’ve ever used – if you want to use your favorite brand, go ahead and do so – but I have never used another whey isolate protein powder from another brand.
- I use unflavored whey isolate so I can control the taste and sweetness. If you have protein powder you want to try to use, please go ahead and try, but the carb count will be different – and possibly the texture.
- Here’s the sweetener I use for these pancakes – it’s the liquid stevia in toffee because it’s zero total carbs. I understand lots of people calculate net carbs in other sweeteners, but for a true zero carb situation, I prefer this liquid sweetener. It’s easy to work with and mixes beautifully in the batter.
- The pan I used is a silver dollar pan from Aldi. You can find a similar one on amazon.
- Melt the butter in the microwave (about 20 seconds). Meanwhile, start heating a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- In the same bowl as the butter, add half and half to the warm butter and mix.
- Mix in whey and baking powder to the butter and half and half to form a thick, but smooth batter. No lumps!
- Add vanilla and liquid stevia and continue mixing.
- Whisk in eggs and let the batter sit for a minute or two.
- Pour batter onto the hot pan – let it bubble up and then flip. The first side should only take 1-2 minutes to bubble up and the second side will only need half as much time to cook. Test out one pancake first to adjust sweetness and to get a better idea of cook time on your stove and pan.
- Enjoy with butter and your favorite syrup or jam!
We only share products/services that we love. This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission for purchases made through our links.